When I leave for work I take one of two ways, most often it does not involve IL, today it did. I hate that state. It's very long and boring, and this time around very brown. I feel bad for the people who will suffer because of the drought and all it's affects, but it doesn't help with curb appeal for the state.
As I was driving I started having some random thoughts, as I normally do and thought I'd list out all my deployments. I think I can remember them all.
2003 Oct-Dec training, Jacksonville and Corp
2004 June Kansas City, KS and Arma, KS
2004 August Worthington MN
2004-2005 Sept-March Orlando, FL
2005 Sept-Nov Hattiesburg MS
2006 Jan-June Vadnais Hts, MN
2007 Feb Indianapolis, IN
2007 May-August El Paso, TX
2007 Sept-Oct Burnsville, MN
2008 April-Sept Burnsvill, MN
2008 Sept-Nov Cincinnati, OH
2008-2009 Dec-April Dallas TX
2009 May-July Marion, IL
2009 Sept-Nov Atlanta, GA
2010 April-June Cedar Falls and Des Moines, IA
2010 July-Oct Burnsville, MN
2011 Jan Dallas, TX
2011 March-June Charlotte, NC
2011 July-Nov Bloomington, MN
2012 Feb-June Dallas, TX
2012 July-?? Charleston, WV
That's a long list, but I would guess that it's actually short given the handful of others who have been on this job as long as me. I've had some pretty long stints at the same places. I really do like having the familiar to rely, but it's nice to explore someplace new too.
Last night as I was trying to sleep I started to think about leaving and how I was really feeling about it. I wasn't anxious, but I was a little excited. I like going somewhere new. This time around I wasn't as sad as I was in Feb when I left for TX. I will miss everyone like crazy, but I knew I needed to leave. I need to regain who I am. Heading to this new site I only know a handful of people and that really means I only know their names and faces. I can choose to be whatever person I want at this site. I can be a recluse and work out all the time, or I can be the social coordinator, or I can hang out with my friend who lives there, or I can just be. It's interesting to think I could meet the man of my dreams or a new enemy, or I could find the key to my happiness or a boss who can really help me. The possibilities are endless.
Now I'm off to bed. I forgot about the time change, and the last 2 hours of my drive were intense. First a major storm, then Indy with a massive amount of road construction. I'm ready for some tylenol PM, earplugs (a dance team is staying here: note lots of running and yelling so far) and a comfy bed.
No comments:
Post a Comment